Monday, February 9, 2009

Pergnancy update (I meant to do that)



I promised my mom I would take a profile picture so she could see the baby bump. There it is world! The baby's been sitting kind of funny in my tummy today, and keeps making me look really lopsided. So much so that a guy in my physics lab said "whoa, your tummy is not symmetrical." Thanks.

We had a chance today to go see the doctor, and he said things are humming right along. He also happens to be Ryan's uncle, for you non-family readers. It's been really nice to go to him, and feel like I can call anytime I need to--I mean, how many people actually have their practitioner's home number? The weigh-in is totally not my favorite part, but I actually lost a pound? I don't see how that is possible. Anyways, I love going to the doctor and seeing the various methods they have of figuring out how far along you are. According to my count, I'm 34 and a half weeks (that was also according to the first ultrasound, and keeping track of time passing). Today however, I had a nurse "figure out" with some paper slide chart that I'm 35 weeks and two days along. And then Dr. Dewey calculated 36 weeks with the tape measure (really, are these the most precise instruments of the trade?). So I'm getting confused as to how far along I really am, and now I have no idea what to tell people when they ask! I think I'll just stick with giving them the due date.

It's getting weirder to think that the baby could technically come at any time now. I have some friends planning me a baby shower for the 28th, and I'm just hoping that that date works out still! I'm not holding my breath for early baby, in fact I wouldn't mind if she were late, but it seems like all my friends lately have had theirs early. The uncertainty of it all is killing me!

Other things of great note: Ryan has gotten into a few law schools! We're still waiting to hear back from the majority of them, but he got into University of Tulsa and Washburn University (in Topeka, KS). Thus far, watch out midwest, here we come! Everytime we've heard back from a school, Ryan goes searching the housing market to follow recent trends. Personally, I do some background research on the states themselves, like, possible natural disasters (tornadoes, droughts, severe cold snaps with power outtages, killer cricket infestations). Like I said earlier, we have yet to hear from most of the schools, but its really exciting to know that we have options!

I'm so proud of Ryan. He's such a good husband and hard worker! He really has been so sweet to me throughout our marriage, and particularly since I've been pregnant. He makes sure that my feet are warm, and that I have two pillows behind my back when I sit on the couch, and that I've got enough water, and that I took my vitamins. He's so sweet and concerned about our little girl, and gives my tummy nice rubs when it feels all tight and uncomfortable. And I can talk about him all I like on this blog, because he never checks it anyways. So there, honey. Love you.

Anyways, I should really stop procrastinating my physics homework. There's a little bit of what's been going on in our life.

Karen

7 comments:

Dan said...

It has always seemed to me like the concept of the due date was a bit of a moving target. I know we have had ours changed before but not the wide range in opinions you seem to be getting. I don't know why babies don't respect our schedules as far as timing goes. No matter how we have tried to plan it, the babies just never seem to be able to come out when help is around, families are here, I am off from school, work . . . I am happy for Ryan that he has some good options for law school. It'll be fun having some family in lawschool that will need someone to commiserate with. When you get tired of hearing about his interesting tax classes (Heather did after about 2 weeks in my income tax class), tell Ryan he can talk to me about it. I actually find it rather interesting.

Anonymous said...

Karen - You look great. I can't believe you actually lost a pound. Is that possible in the third trimester?? It definitely wasn't for me. You must take very good care of yourself, or Ryan does:) This was cute to read. Its great to hear about Ryan getting into law school. Congrats guys.

BJ and Alexis Gremillion said...

You look so cute Karen! I'm so excited to come up for your shower in a couple weeks. I wouldn't be sad if the baby came early like before the shower because I can't wait to see her. That's funny Ryan never reads your blog BJ never reads ours either so I can talk about him all I want too. Good luck with school and your last few weeks of being pregnant!

Genevieve Beck said...

The due dates are nothing if not unpredictable. :) Congratulations to Ryan! What a nice feeling to know that law school is definitely in the future!

heath said...

first of all, WHY do people think they can comment on your body, just because you're pregnant? Would you tell that guy his NOSE is assymetrical?? ha ha! oh well, at least you look ADORABLE Karen, so that's probably about the worst comment you could get!

What a great guy Ryan is to take such sweet care of you-- has he taken over the "mothering" in the relationship?! ;)

The waiting is definitely the worst... GOOD LUCK! LOVE YOU!

jensher said...

i agree with heather, the waiting is the worst. I tried to remind myself not to get too excited until the actual due date. Dana, Meg and Everett were all 4 days early, then the little terrorist was 10 days late and weighed 9-11. I am also convinced that doctors have no idea what they are talking about because I have had doctors tell me that I am not close to delivery and then had the baby the next day (Megan) and then another doctor tell me that it was going to be that night and not happen for another 10 days (easton). I'm sure that you are excited and anxious, but the baby is a lot easier to take care of inside of you than outside.

cathyswendsen said...

I thought I had commented days ago, sorry Karen. Thanks for posting I love the picture of you; you look great--sooo cute pregnant.
I agree with Ryan that I can't wait to meet your little girl. Best of luck with the waiting game, it's not always easy. You were ten days late, it was a hot, humid summer and your dad took off work because he couldn't stand the wait from the office. Talk about being watched, I had him, Jen and your three brothers all waiting for something to happen!